The most exciting fashion event is Austin Fashion Week and if you would like to participate, here are the final details to get fashionably involved. Deadline is today, Friday, June 1. We are looking forward to covering the event again this year as a media sponsor.
FEES: Austin Fashion Week has done away with participation fees for multiple categories this year… basically everything except designers and retailers (boutiques, salons, spas), and also the Mash Up Teams.
DESIGNER PROCESS: For the Austin Based designers category: The AFW Advisory Board will convene to review all applications and samples. The top 16 designers will be awarded “Showcase Designer” status. They will receive as follows:
- The top THREE clothing designers will be awarded a complete runway show (20 – 25 looks) at the Driskill Runways.
- The top THREE jewelry or accessory designers will be awarded a booth at the Driskill Marketplace.
- The next TEN designers will be awarded Showcases at local retail and salon venues — these showcases are meant to be amped up trunk shows.
AWARDS & VOTING:
1. Beginning June 4, nomination forms will be made available to the general public via FashionWeekAustin.com
. Users may NOMINATE deserving candidates for TRAILBLAZER or RISING STAR awards.
2. On June 22, nominations will close.
3. All nominees will be presented to the 13-member Board for Austin Fashion Week. This Board consists of the following members:
- Stephen Moser: Austin Chronicle Style Writer
- Eve Nicols: Director of Apparel Design, University of Texas
- Linda Asaf: Fashion Designer
- Kendra Scott: Fashion Designer
- Lance Avery Morgan: Brilliant Magazine, The Society Diaries
- Elizabeth Gibson: Owner, Eliza Page
- Allen Ruiz: Owner, Jackson Ruiz Salon
- Justin Brown: Owner, Wilhelmina Brown Modeling Agency
- Chad Harlan: Photographer
- Lisa Brooks: Hair Stylist & Owner, Diaz & Brooks
- Rochelle Rae: Owner, Rae Cosmetics
- Anne Marie Beard: Fashion Designer
- Sandra Antoun: Stylist
The Board will be tasked with selecting FIVE Trailblazers and FIVE Rising Stars.
Winners of Awards in both categories will only be honored once and will not longer be eligible to receive the same award in future years.
Winners will be announced at the Austin Fashion Awards, August 18.
4. On AUGUST 1, Mash Up Team images will be posted to FashionWeekAustin.com
. The general public will be allowed to vote for a “People’s Choice” award for the best image. That award will be presented at the Austin Fashion Awards. In addition, renowned photographer Timothy White will select his favorite image and present the Timothy White Award for the best Mash Up Team image at the Austin Fashion Awards.
SCHEDULE: The schedule for the 2012 Austin Fashion Week will be slightly different from last year:
Kick Off 8/10, Showcase Events 8/11-14, Driskill Runways and Marketplace 8/15-17, and the Austin Fashion Awards 8/18.
This year the Showcase Events will be together and Driskill Runways will be together but on separate days to create opportunity for more people to attend events that might interest them.